This page focuses on the different types of marketing today,
- What is Marketing?
- Traditional Marketing
- Design marketing
- Content Marketing: Internet Marketing and Digital Marketing
- Content Writing
- Online Ads
- Website marketing
- Social Media Marketing – SMM
- Influencer Marketing
- Search Engine Marketing – SEM
- Search Engine Optimization – SEO
- Viral Marketing
- Podcast Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Native Advertising
- Email Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Referral Marketing
- Online Community Building
- eCommerce marketing
- Voice Marketing
- Branding as Marketing
- Who can become a marketeer or marketer
- Why is marketing important
- How to become a Marketer
What is Marketing?
Marketing refers to the buying and selling activities that occur on a market or marketplace.
It also involves:
- Promotion and advertising of the products and services.
- Distribution of physical and non-physical goods.
- Selling of tangible and non-tangible goods and services.
- Research – which is known as Market Research.
The human personnel involved in Marketing are known as:
- Marketers – a person engaged in marketing and ensuring successful marketing campaigns.
- Marketeers – a specialist in the field of marketing.
Both marketers and marketers work in the online and or offline world to ensure that the campaigns they design are well-executed.
Marketing is a very broad area with many different categories and sub-categories.
To simplify things there is Traditional Marketing, Content Marketing and Internet or Digital Marketing.
N.B. Some types of marketing outlined below can be both Traditional or Modern Marketing methods.
Traditional Marketing refers to all the marketing practices since time immemorial.
People have been marketing their goods and services since the pre-historic era.
Unlike Internet Marketing, Traditional Marketing has been there in the past.
Traditional Marketing Examples:
- Direct response copywriting
- Offline Ads
- Neon signs
- Radio Advertisements
- TV Ads – Traditional Television Advertisements
This is done face to face.
- Network Marketing
- PR or Public Relations is getting your brand known using Traditional Marketing methodologies. Richard Branson’s company Virgin, partly got popular as a result of PR.
- Unconventional PR
- Offline Events e.g Speaking Engagements
- Trade Shows
Designing content/files for marketing purposes.
- Logo creation
Online Oriented Design Marketing
Designing content for internet purposes.
Offline Design Marketing
Designing content for the real world.
For example, billboards.
Content Marketing includes all the components of Traditional Marketing and Internet Marketing.
More specifically, it is marketing through Content Writing and Content Creation.
Digital Marketing is also a subsection of Content Marketing.
Like Traditional Marketing, Online Marketing is a conversion-oriented type of marketing.
Content writing refers to creating helpful and marketing content for your audience, prospects, clients, and customers.
- Writing ebooks and books
- Article writing
- Press releases
This is copy that is oriented for marketing purposes.
For example, writing copy for:
- Google Ads
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Marketing.
This is writing copy for websites.
- Creating landing pages
This is whereby you create popular content that viewers are compelled to share.
They may share your popular videos on Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp.
Native Advertisements or sponsored content.
Affiliate Marketing is a strategy of marketing through other people. Companies introduce affiliate programs with the agenda of getting as many people as they can to buy their products or services.
Examples of companies that have benefited from Affiliate Marketing include:
- America Express
Referral Marketing – introducing your family, friends, colleagues, and community to a product or service.
You get paid a commission for each person that you introduce to the service.
Since a friend or a colleague referred it to you you are most likely going to join it.
Examples of companies that have been into Referral Marketing:
This can be done in various ways:
- Podcast Followers
- Facebook Groups
- Social Media Page Management
Linkedin Marketing For Business
- Business success
How to become a Marketer
- Online course
- Business School
One of the well-known traditional ways to become a marketer is through traditional education:
- Business schools
- Management of business studies
Marketing is one of the fields that will exist forever.
There are different types of marketing.
To be a successful marketer does not have to do with one’s educational qualifications or experience but their effectiveness in attracting the ideal prospects, clients, and customers.